Coping with DyslexiaReading Pictures, Causing Trouble, Treatments For Dyslexia, Multisensory Treatment, Classroom Strategies, When Taking NotesMemorizing, Using Others, Making Jokes
Dyslexics cope with their problems in different ways. Some ways are good, but others only mask the problem. These are sometimes called compulsive solutions. They may help a dyslexic for the moment, but they do not help in the long run. In fact, they often make the problems worse, in that people do not receive the support they need.
Here are some compulsive solutions that many dyslexics rely on.
Miguel has trouble taking notes so he relies on his memory to get by. In school he tapes his classes. Later, he reviews the tapes. He memorizes every thing on them. On tests he writes what he remem bers from the tapes.
For Miguel, memorizing often works. But not always. Once he got sick and missed school for two weeks. He was too embarrassed to ask a friend to tape his classes. He couldn't catch up later. He ended up with poor grades for that term.
Anthony is dyslexic, but he doesn't tell his friends. Instead, he uses them to get by. In school, he takes the same classes that they do. They study together, so Anthony learns the material Some friends even write papers for him. He lets them play his computer games in return.
Tong uses humor to hide his dyslexia. He figures, “If I make a joke, it will take the pressure off. No one will notice that I can't read.”
Tong has become the class clown. When asked to read, he makes funny faces and gestures. The class always cracks up. Even some teachers laugh. But others do not. Tong's attempts to be funny often get him into trouble.
- Dyslexia - Family Matters - Realizing The Problem, Discovering Hidden Talents, Homework, When Studying An Your Own, Developing Self-esteem
- Dyslexia - Caleb - The Trouble Begins, Things Get Worse, A New School, A Big Surprise
- Dyslexia - Coping with Dyslexia - Reading Pictures
- Dyslexia - Coping with Dyslexia - Memorizing
- Dyslexia - Coping with Dyslexia - Causing Trouble
- Dyslexia - Coping with Dyslexia - Treatments For Dyslexia
- Dyslexia - Coping with Dyslexia - Multisensory Treatment
- Dyslexia - Coping with Dyslexia - Classroom Strategies
- Dyslexia - Coping with Dyslexia - When Taking Notes
- Other Free Encyclopedias