OverviewAncient Views Of Equality, Equality In The Church And The Protestant Reformation, Liberalism, Civic Republicanism, And The Age Of Revolution
Though simple as a mathematical concept, equality is complex and contested as a political goal and philosophical concept. Many political struggles, both historical and ongoing, have engaged in the contests over the nature of equality. This contestation revolves around the basic question, What kinds of equality matter? The answer to this in part depends on whether the topic is approached from a predominantly political, economic, ethical/philosophical, or social perspective. Discussing the history of ideas on the concept of equality poses two further challenges. First, equality is so intimately related to the concept of justice that it is impossible to fully untangle the two. Second, there are so many voices and movements to consider on the subject that any concise discussion requires difficult choices on who to include and who to neglect. This overview thus will (1) touch on many (but not all) the important thinkers and developments in the history of ideas in the Western tradition, and (2) introduce some of the major debates and conflicts in that tradition over the concept of equality.
- Equality - Racial Equality - Racism As Ideology, The Politics Of Racial Inequality, The Struggle For Racial Equality, The Continuing Struggle
- Equality - Gender Equality - Equality, Liberalism, And Feminism, Equality And Sexual Difference, Gender Asymmetries And The Limits Of Formal Equality
- Equality - Overview - Ancient Views Of Equality
- Equality - Overview - Equality In The Church And The Protestant Reformation
- Equality - Overview - Liberalism, Civic Republicanism, And The Age Of Revolution
- Equality - Overview - Civic Republicanism
- Equality - Overview - Socialism
- Equality - Overview - Capitalism And Its Critics
- Equality - Overview - Movements For Equality—equal To Whom?
- Equality - Overview - Concerns About Equality
- Equality - Overview - Conclusion
- Equality - Overview - Bibliography
- Other Free Encyclopedias