The drive specifications tell the drive's performance capabilities. These specifications commonly include the following:
- The data transfer rate, which specifies how much data the drive can read from a data CD and transfer to the host computer when reading one large, sequential chunk of data.
- The access time, which is the delay between the drive receiving the command to read and its actual first reading of the data.
- The buffer size, which is the size of the cache of memory stored in the drive. Not all drives are equipped with memory buffers.
- Compact Disc - Care Of Cd-roms
- Compact Disc - Retrieving Information From A Disc
- Other Free Encyclopedias
Science EncyclopediaScience & Philosophy: Cluster compound to ConcupiscenceCompact Disc - Manufacture Of A Compact Disc, Retrieving Information From A Disc, Drive Specifications, Care Of Cd-roms - CD-ROM drives, Drive formats, Interfaces, Nonstandard SCSI interfaces