The Three R's
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Do you need help going green? Start by practicing the three R's. No, not Reading, wRiting, and aRithmetic—but Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle!
- Reduce paper and plastic bag waste. Bring reusable canvas bags to the grocery store, use cloth napkins, and real plates.
- Bring your lunch to school in a lunch box-don't brown bag-it.
- Reduce the amount of water you use. Turn off the water while you brush your teeth. Only run the dishwasher and washing machine when they are full.
- Reduce the amount of electricity you use. Install new compact fluorescent light bulbs to save energy and money. Turn off and unplug appliances when they are not in use.
- Reduce air pollution and greenhouse gases by walking or riding a bike (it's good exercise too!). If that is not possible, try to share a ride or use public transportation.
- Let someone else use your unused things. Donate items to charity, instead of throwing them out.
- Reuse plastic tubs and glass jars instead of buying new storage containers.
- Reuse organic food waste and yard waste by creating a compost pile.
- Recycle paper, plastic, and metal items so they do not end up in landfills.
- Buy items made from recycled products.
- When you grow tired of your video games, books, and DVDs, get together with some friends and trade!